7 August 2013

Ombré


It's been a long time since I've done anything with my hair besides the occasional trim. I used to colour it a lot, going from blonde highlights in the summer to dark brown in the winter. When I moved back to Calgary, I decided it was too much to maintain and went back to my natural colour for a while. 




Let's be honest though, sometimes natural is kind of boring and I was definitely feeling bored. Usually when this happens I just chop it all off. I'm not afraid of short hair, but I know I'd regret it right now. 
Colouring it seemed like a better option, but blonde highlights are a lot of maintenance and dark brown is too close to my natural colour to cure my boredom. Ombré was something new though. I'd been considering it for a while so I emailed my stylist and asked him what he thought. 



It turned out he couldn't have been more excited and called me right away to discuss. It didn't take me long to decide I was going for it. We rescheduled my trim for a time when he could do both cut and colour and I started finding some photos of what I wanted. 



I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's quite subtle right now, but will lighten up as I'm out in the sun more. In some lights it looks incredibly blonde, but in some it seems barely noticeable. I like the idea that it will just grow out and there isn't really any maintenance to it. I no longer want to be dropping a lot of money on my hair every three months. If it gets too blonde for me, I can easily tone it down for relatively cheap. It sounds pretty perfect! 



I took these photos by myself using my tripod and a prime lens. It was fun to play around with my camera since I've been slacking in that department but I definitely struggled with getting the focus right. I'm not a fan of auto focus at the best of times and I couldn't get it to cooperate how I wanted. I also wasn't having a lot of luck with manual focus since the subject (myself) was behind the camera when I tried to focus. 




Oh well, it was fun to play a bit and made me realize it's something I need to work on more. Hopefully I find some time to play more before we go on holiday. I'd love to get some great shots in Vancouver, Portland, and Seattle! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?