31 May 2013

June Burpee Challenge

I've talked a bit about the CrossFit-style workouts I organize every week at work in the past. It's grown quite a bit since I first started it, which makes me so excited. I love that my work lets me run these Fitness Friday workouts every week. They're really no longer than a smoke break and are significantly more healthy. It's also expanded to include a Yoga practice what happens a few times a week already. I haven't checked that out yet since it happens at the same time as Fitness Friday, but I definitely would like to in the future.


For June, I've also decided to put a Burpee Challenge out there. I sent this out not only to those on the Fitness Friday distribution, but also to our All Staff distribution list. Fitness Friday is still a relatively small group of us and I wanted to remind everyone that they are all welcome to join us anytime and also challenge them to a month of burpees. Anyone can do burpees! They're tough, but easily modifiable to suit any level of fitness.

The challenge started today. Yes, I realize that it's technically still May, but since this challenge is happening with coworkers, I thought it made more sense to start it on a workday. So May 31 it is. We're starting at 5 burpees today. From there, we'll be adding one burpee a day until June 30. That means on June 30 we'll be doing 35 burpees. It's pretty simple.

I've also added that you can break them up into sets. So when they numbers get higher, everyone can still get them done. Obviously, your fitness will improve more from doing them all in one go, but that can be a bit intimidating. I figure doing them at all is a step in the right direction, so I wanted to make it attainable.


Anyone reading this blog is also more than welcome to join us in this Burpee Challenge as well! I've already challenged N to it.

If you're not sure what a burpee is, you can check out the video below. Emad's burpees could use some work, especially towards the end, but mine are mostly ok.

The main rules are that your chest needs to touch the floor and you need to jump up at the end. In the video, I'm always jumping my feet forwards and back, but you don't have to. You can step forwards and backwards and it still counts. You also don't have to do a push up. You can get down the floor and then worm your way back up. Check You Tube for more variations. There are plenty out there.


I made a little calendar that makes it a bit easier to understand how the challenge works. Check it out if you're interested and leave a comment if you'd like to participate!


Have a great weekend and Happy Burpee Month!

2 comments:

What do you think?