6 February 2014

What If Money Was No Object?

So it's funny when a show like Two Broke Girls gets you thinking about life. I mean, you just don't expect that kind of show to make you stop and think, but this week's episode did just that for me. (Stranger things have happened, but let's talk about this particular strange thing for a minute).

What would you do if you were independently wealthy and didn't have to do anything to earn money? In the show, one of the girls (you can tell I watch this a lot since I know their names) realized that the guy she was dating was a keeper because he never had to do anything, but chose to. He had all the money he could ever need. In his position, she would have never left her bed. Her dreams came from wanting to create a better life for herself. He pursued his interests instead of just comfortably living off his wealth, like she believes she would have in his place.

It got me thinking about what I would do. Would I be that person who just travelled the world for her own selfish reasons? Or sat around at home doing nothing just because I could? Maybe for a time I'd fall into one of those (don't we all need a break like that sometimes?), but I'm doer. I'm rarely content to sit around doing nothing & actually usually feel guilty when I do. We all need lazy days sometimes, but I don't like when they become the every day.

If I could do whatever I wanted I would certainly travel a lot - I'd travel, and read, and write, and eat (especially eat). I'd take photos and be creative every day. I'd probably go back to school and take all the classes that don't combine to lead to a career or degree: photography, cooking, maybe even pastry. Maybe I'd work at a gym or a coffee shop or study nutrition in my spare time. These are things that interest me now, but that I'd never thought about in High School.

It's funny how you think you know everything when you leave High School, but the older you get, the more you realize, there's so much left to learn - about the world, myself, this journey I'm on...

I was chatting with a coworker about this and he showed me this video. It got me thinking so I thought I'd share.


"Better to have a short life, that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." - Alan Watts

So, what do you desire?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?