I know it's a cliche. & not even an uncommon one at that. But sometimes it really is the little things that make all the difference in the world.
Sometimes I get so wrapped up in life: work, the gym, meal plans, cooking, cleaning, sleeping... & repeat. Sometimes I forget to stop for a second. I took a break for a second today and stepped back from all the craziness I'm creating for myself and was reminded of one of those little things that I love:
good coffee, in a nice space, with a book.
It doesn't even really have to be a good book. It can be a mediocre book. It does have to be a good cup of coffee, however.
I needed a little break from the office today so I stepped over to one of my favourite restaurants for a coffee. They also happen to brew one of my favourites: Phil & Sebastian. As I admired their La Marzocco (I have an obsession) and stopped thinking about workweddingvenuesfitnessdinnercleaningsleeping for a minute, I remembered how important taking time out is to me.
I sat down for a few minutes with my cappuccino and read. It was a nice escape. I don't know what it is about books in coffee shops for me, but I love it. Maybe it reminds me of being a student. Or maybe my love for frequenting coffee shops to read is why I have fond memories of being a student. Either way, it got me thinking about some of the other little things that make me smile. Here's a little list for you on this lovely Thursday:
- dancing with N
- the first bite of a perfectly cooked piece of red meat
- well designed, aesthetically pleasing spaces
- random emoji-filled text messages
- dance parties with my girlfriends
- when a really great song comes on my iPod as I'm walking to work
- the first glimpse of Columbia Lake as you crest the top of the hill on highway 93
- photos of friends, food, travel (let's be honest here: everything)
- the first day it's warm enough to go bare legged after months of winter
- standing at the top of a mountain
- the few minutes before we get out of bed in the morning
- freshly washed and waxed Rula (my subarula!)
- a perfectly cut piece of salmon sashimi
- dancing with puppies
- driving a winding road with no one in front of me
- flip flop tan lines
What are some of the things that make you smile?