16 April 2013

Meal Prep Monday


I've talked before about how important and helpful I find meal planning and prep. These tools are one of the only reasons I even come close to sticking to both a budget and a lifestyle. N and I have been following the Primal Blueprint since the end of our month of Paleo in December. The Primal Blueprint is very similar to Paleo except more lenient in terms of dairy, rice, wine, and beer.

Veggies for the week
This month we've decided to do 30 days of Paleo while also cutting out drinking. Not only does it save us some money (no cheese, no alcohol!), but I also feel a lot better cutting these things out. What's a month, anyway?

We honestly didn't get off to the best start with this challenge, but we're back on track now. Sometimes I find myself looking at others and thinking they never have setbacks. I know this isn't true though so I don't want to come across as one of those people who never falls short. I do. Frequently. But I try to keep it in perspective. There's no point in dwelling on a few beers or a couple french fries you shouldn't have eaten.

Cutting up colourful peppers for snacks

One of the best ways we've found to be successful in our day to day lives is to prepare snacks in advance. This doesn't always happen Monday, but usually early in the week. (Meal Prep Monday just sounds better than Meal Prep Sunday or Tuesday). I find it easiest to do everything for the week at once, so I'll cook up any bacon we plan to eat for breakfasts, cut up veggies for snacks, make egg bites, or bake muffins. I'm lazy so this works for me.

Breakfast for the week: Bacon Acorn Squash Patties 
It's so easy to get stuck in a rut so I'm more than grateful for websites like Civilized Caveman and PaleOMG and books like Practical Paleo. I would probably end up eating the same thing every week if it weren't for these awesomely talented and creative people!

Bacon Beef Butternut Squash

Yup, we eat a lot of bacon. 

All of these sources have inspired me to be more creative and taught me how delicious life can be, even without my beloved grains. We tried a ridiculously good pasta recipe with George's Sweet Potato Pasta and our own sauce creation. I'll try and get some decent pictures of that one next time since it's one of my new favourites and it's ridiculously simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?