8 March 2013

Again Faster

I've been on a CrossFit posting kick lately. I apologize. This blog really isn't going to be only about Fitness and CrossFit. It's just a really exciting time for CrossFit right now! Don't worry, I've got some recipes and photos and non fitness things coming.

The first CrossFit Open WOD (13.1) was announced on Wednesday and my first reaction was "Holy #$%*!". Everyone had been dreading another rendition of last years 7 min of burpees or a snatch ladder. Those were the first two work outs of the Open last year: 12.1 and 12.2. Well, CrossFit did us one better and combined those two WODs to create a beast of a workout.


Workout 13.1

17 minute AMRAP of:
Round 1 - 40 Burpees
                   30 Snatch, 75 / 45 lbs
Round 2 - 30 Burpees
                   30 Snatch, 135 / 75 lbs
Round 3 - 20 Burpees
                   30 Snatch, 165 / 100 lbs
Round 4 - 10 burpees
                   Max rep Snatch, 210 / 120 lbs 


I tuned in right at 6 pm to watch Scott Panchik and Dan Bailey go head to head in this workout right after it was announced. It was intense. If you missed it, this is the only video I can currently find. 

Julie Foucher (the second fittest female in the games last year) also did a great demo of the workout. She is a pretty incredible lady. She's toned down her training this year to focus on Med School and she still managed to score 195 reps. That's nuts.
I did the Workout last night. I was pretty nervous and excited before it. I haven't really done many snatches since last July so I'd practiced a few on Wednesday night, but I still wasn't super confident about that 75 lb snatch. 

I scored 107 reps. I'm pretty proud of myself. I did really well on the first Round. A 45 lb snatch isn't that heavy, but after 40 burpees it was significantly harder than usual. I finished that round in 6:27 and moved on to 30 burpees. That also went pretty well so I had plenty of time for the next set of snatches. I failed my first 3 snatches at 75 lbs. It was a bit discouraging. The best thing about CrossFit is that you always have a cheering section to get you going. All I could hear was "You can do it. You're doing amazing! You're so close, just get under that bar!". On my fourth try, I finally got a successful rep. The next 5 or so minutes was a mixture of successful reps and failed reps. I got down to the last minute and got 2 reps in. With 10 seconds left, I tried for another, but just couldn't lock out my arms at the top so I ended with 7 snatches. I got high fives all around and took my turn to cheer on the next heat. It was a pretty cool experience. 


Once I was able to breath again, I knew I wanted to try the workout again. They're doing it on Sunday, so if we don't go skiing I may just have to try again. I know I can get those snatches now! 
My score is officially up on the website, which is pretty cool. I will definitely move down in the standings, but for a time I was in the top 100 in Western Canada, so I'll just focus on that for now. 


I obviously am not going to qualify for Regionals or the Games, but it was great to participate. I'm looking forward to the next WOD and hoping it doesn't include things I can't manage yet! Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?